Just to Clarify the E-Cigarette Position

It has been a couple of years since I last commented about e-cigarettes. I'm not sure my position has changed drastically. To recap, I have stated they needed to be investigated thoroughly for safety and if they're to be sold as smoking cessation aids, then there should be studies to show their effectiveness, that is, double-blinded, controlled studies; not anecdotal reports with numerous study-related flaws. There are a few studies in the pipeline, so we should have some unbiased information soon.

Are they the lesser of two evils? Is smoking a tobacco cigarette safer than vaporizing and inhaling a bunch of chemicals? Probably...maybe, but who knows for sure since there are no studies detailing their safety profile. I have stated that e-cigarettes do have promise, especially as social acceptance of these devices gain momentum. I just wish there was more transparency from the manufacturers. Not that I feel that coming under the FDA would fix all the problems. I know the FDA is far from a faultless or error free organization. But as a general rule, they do good work and protect the consumer from more then we're willing to admit, in spite of any political allegiances their leadership may declare.

I'm not ready to close the book on e-cigarettes but I'm also not ready to throw them out with the bath water. I'm maintaining my wait and see approach until the scientific community can catch up.